Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's been a long time since I posted so here goes...

Ciao everyone! Sorry it has been such a long time since I posted; I find myself getting busier as my time progresses here. There is so much to do, so I will attempt to update you on all of it.  First off, it's Wednesday! What a wonderful day.  Today is the day our rooms get cleaned each week, and if you didn't know I am not exactly a neat freak, and lucky me, neither are any of my roommates...so the last two Wednesdays have been such amazing days to come back in here after class.  We have to take off all of our sheets before we leave for class, and then they leave us new ones to put on our bed, so needless to say, I am sitting on an unmade bed with nice, clean folded up sheets at the end of it.  The night is still young, it will get made eventually. Now for an update of the last week or so.

We are all beginning to settle in for real now.  I have found several grocery stores close by, the staff at Pascucci's (the little cafe type thing where we eat two out three meals everyday) is getting to know us, and I can navigate around pretty well.  Two of my roommates and I are planning a day trip to Orvieto right now, but more on that when it actually happens.









On Saturday MTV hosted a concert pretty close by, and I obviously went to it, or I wouldn't be blogging about it right now.  It was awesome!  I got to see John Legend and The Cure, and before/in between their performances there were a couple Italian bands. 
 











Oh, I guess I could have mentioned that before this concert we had an excursion to Tarquinia and Cerveteri! We had to be on the bus at 7 a.m., which was not my idea of a fun Saturday morning. But after a lovely journey, we arrived in Tarquinia.  We split into three groups and our guides showed up around the Necropolis.  We visited numerous tombs, but we only got to go down the stairs, and then we had to stand there and look through glass since all of the tombs are painted.  They don't want anyone going in there and ruining everything.  At this point on the trip I was thoroughly ticked off because we were told not to take anything, including our cameras because there would be no need for them and there was no light etc.  BUT once we got there I wished I would have not listened because the tombs were amazing and they lit up when you pushed a button, so I could have gotten pictures pretty easily.  So, I am going to try to get some pictures off of Sam, she was smart and took her camera with her.  After we were done there we hopped back on the bus and drove to a museum.  We got to see the Sarcophagus of Reclining Couple, which was pretty awesome considering we had just learned about it in class a couple days before that.  We also got to see pottery, jewelry, sculptures, and other sarcophagi.  It was pretty amazing; some of the things were so well preserved.  AND we saw a sarcophagus that was made out of a hollowed out log WITH the bones in it.  This skeleton was literally 2500 years old!

After the museum we grabbed a quick lunch (pizza and focaccia bread) and headed to the beach.  We got there in about 30-45 minutes I think, so it wasn't a bad drive.  Some people had brought their bathing suits and swam in the Tyrrhenian Sea!  I just hung out and took pictures, so if you want to see some of them just click HERE! 

Finally, we ended out day in Cerverteri.  We visited another Necropolis, which I didn't explain earlier for those of you that don't know, but it means City of the Dead, so a cemetery.  We visited more tombs, but this time we actually got to go in them since they were not painted.  There was one tomb that was painted, so we had to do the window thing again. But going in the tombs was so unreal.  We were literally climbing into these things and sitting were people were one laid to rest.  A lot of the tombs have the big mound on top of them, and we got to climb one! Veeerrryyy awesome.  

Well, I think that pretty much brings us up to this week, but all I have had is school, so that's not interesting at all.  I am writing a paper, well I guess I am procrastinating on my paper while doing this, but I felt like I needed to update all of my faithful blog followers. So thanks for reading.  Hope all is well in the States! Miss you all, ok well not that much actually haha.  You can't blame me though.  

Ciao for now! Allie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update FINALLY, lol. I knew you were busy, have seen the awesome pics on your facebook pages.....don't blame you one bit!!!!! Take care!!

Love Ya' :)
Cris

akwilliams said...

Okay, I can finally leave you a comment. Had to create account (which was easy) but I already had a message typed out before I did and I lost it. Anyway, your pictures are amazing, I imagine some things you are seeing are hard to explain because it's so different actually seeing it. Enjoy it all, I'm so happy for you that you are getting to experience all of this. I hope your classes are going good. Take care. -Amy